Fun Facts about North Carolina You Probably Didn’t Know
In just one year of living in Raleigh, North Carolina, I have learned so many cool facts about this state that really blew my mind! Therefore, I, of course, must share all these awesome facts with you, because, North Carolina is in fact a really cool state!
1.North Carolina has the tallest living Sand Dune east of the Mississippi! Yep, that’s right! Jockeys Ridge is located in the Outer Banks!
2. Speaking of Jockeys Ridge, this area in Kitty Hawk is where the Wrights Brothers were first to fly a plane. Now the “First in Flight” North Carolina License plate makes sense!
3. North Carolina is home to the highest peak east of the Mississippi. You can drive to the top of Mt. Mitchell and enjoy panoramic views at 6,684 ft.
4. Beech Mountain is known for having the highest Ski Slope on the East Coast at 5,505 ft.
5. The largest Private Estate is located in NC. Located in Asheville, you can explore the Biltmore Estate and massive gardens.
6. North Carolina is where one of the most famous soft drinks was born; Pepsi.
7. Krispy Kreme Donuts was also born in the tar heel state!
8. North Carolina is the largest producer of sweet potatoes, yummm!
9. Mini-golf/putt-putt golf was said to be started in North Carolina.
10. NC is one of the top producing states of Christmas Trees out in Ashe County.
11. The largest concentration of black bears in the southeastern United States is in North Carolina. They are also known as some of the largest Black Bears and can be found on NC’s coastal plains.
12. Wild Horses can be found on the Outer Banks in Corolla. These wild Colonial Spanish Mustangs have been living on there for 500 years!
13. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill claims to be the oldest public university in the USA.
14. The Blue Ridge Parkway is America’s longest linear park running through Virginia and, you guessed it, North Carolina!
Facts about North Carolina Review
As you can see, North Carolina indeed has some pretty cool facts! If I missed any of your favorite facts about the Tar-Heel state, let me know in the comments below!
Find more North Carolina travel tips here!
Enjoy this post on North Carolina? If so, I’d so appreciate it if you could share/pin it below!