Awesome Things to do in Mooresville, NC
Located about 30 minutes North of Charlotte, find the cute town of Mooresville located in Iredell County, North Carolina. Nicknamed Race City, Mooresville has tons of fun things to do for nature enthusiasts, foodies, NASCAR lovers, and more. So, if you are planning a weekend getaway, here are some of the best things to do in Mooresville, NC!
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. I may make a commission at no extra cost to you. Disclosure.
We were kindly hosted by Visit Mooresville. All opinions are our own!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Awesome Things to do in Mooresville, NC
- Explore Lake Norman
- Lake Norman State Park
- Race at GoPro Motorplex
- Explore Downtown Mooresville, NC
- Visit Carrigan Farm
- Explore the North Carolina Auto Racing Hall of Fame
- Where to Eat in Mooresville, NC
- Where to Stay in Mooresville, NC
- What to Pack for Mooresville, NC
- Best Things to do in Mooresville, NC Wrap-up
Explore Lake Norman
Lake Norman is easily one of the top things to do in Mooresville, NC! Not only is Lake Norman the largest man-made lake in North Carolina, stretching 34 miles long and covering 520 miles of coastline but there are also tons of things to do!
If you are picturing the perfect summer getaway by the lake, Mooresville will check all your boxes.
Lake Norman offers tons of water sports, such as wakeboarding and jet-skiing, boating, Kayaking, paddleboarding, swimming, and more. During our vacation to Mooresville, we wakeboarded and surfed with Ride LKN Wake and Surf School, and I’d have to say it was such a fun experience!
On the weekends, don’t be surprised to find boats all lined up together, hanging out and having a good time! Lake Norman even offers dinner cruises on the lake!
You will also find a handful of restaurants surrounding the lake offering those perfect sunsets over the lake at dinner.
Lake Norman State Park
Within Lake Norman, you will also find Lake Norman State Park. The State Park covers 1,942 acres of public land to enjoy!
Lake Norman State Park offers public swimming at their beach, hiking trails, mountain biking, fishing, kayak rentals, and camping (including RV’s & Trailers).
Recently, the park also included 6 cabins that offer electricity, heating, and air-conditioning if you’re the glamping type! Find rates and reservations for Lake Norman camping here.
Most of Lake Norman’s coastline is privately owned, so this park is very popular. If you love wildlife, you will have an opportunity to see deer, rabbits, raccoons, a variety of birds, and maybe even a red fox!
Address: 759 State Park Rd, Troutman, NC 28166
Race at GoPro Motorplex
Looking for some extra adrenaline? Then you’re in for a treat at the GoPro Motorplex, where their GoKarts reach up to 55mph! The outdoor track is .7 miles long with 11 turns and modeled after the famous and historic Kartdromo Parma circuit in Italy!
Each race is 10 minutes long, with up to 30 GoKarts racing. They also provide helmets and a neck brace with a cloth to put over your head (since the helmet is shared).
Additionally, the helmets have GoPro mounts, or you can even rent one of theirs!
It’s a ton of fun and easily another one of the best things to do while in Mooresville, NC.
You don’t need any prior experience to drive their rental GoKarts, but you do need to have a valid driver’s license and have closed-toed shoes. Those under 18 years old will need a parent or guardian to accompany them.
Races start at $30 USD. You can find online booking at GoPro Motorplex here!
Address: 130 Motorplex Dr, Mooresville, NC 28115
Explore Downtown Mooresville, NC
You can’t visit Mooresville without checking out its downtown area! Not only are there tons of restaurants and shopping, but you can also find Instagrammable murals throughout the town.
Some of my favorite murals include the Mooresville angel wings at Beer Lab, the Coca-Cola Mural by 108 N Broad St, and the Made in Mooresville Mural near 406 N Main Street.
They also have a really cute garden area, the JF Moore Park, located at the corner of Main Street & Center Ave., right by the train station.
Visit Carrigan Farm
Another one of the top things to do in Mooresville is hanging out at Carrigan Farm. They are a 5th generation family-owned farm that offers tons of things to do.
Enjoy open swimming in their quarry, which includes swings and more! Additionally, they offer strawberry picking, sunflower fields, pumpkin picking, apple picking, and can even be reserved for a wedding venue!
If you plan on open swimming in the Quarry, they recommend purchasing your ticket in advance. Paying in person requires you to pay by cash or check. Get more information about Carrigan Farm here.
Open Swim Address: 1213 Oak Ridge Farm Hwy, Mooresville NC 28115.
Explore the North Carolina Auto Racing Hall of Fame
Known as Race City, it makes sense that the North Carolina Auto Racing Hall of Fame would be located in Mooresville.
Here, you can experience their museum, art gallery, visitor center, and more about the evolution of the motorsports industry in NC.
Address: 119 Knob Hill Rd, Mooresville, NC 28117
Where to Eat in Mooresville, NC
Now that you know some of the best things to do in Mooresville, NC, you will undoubtedly work up an appetite. Here are some of our favorite restaurants in Mooresville, NC!
- Eddies on the Lake: This had to be one of our favorite places to eat since it was right on Lake Norman. They also have a wide variety of things to eat on their menu and had live music playing. Get there early to get a spot outside on the lake! Address: 643 Williamson Rd, Mooresville, NC 28117
- Alino Pizzeria: If you’ve been following me for a while, you will know I get pizza everywhere I go and Mooresville is no exception! They also have gelato and tons of other goodies with both indoor and outdoor dining. Address: 500 S Main St #401, Mooresville, NC 28115
- Ghostface Brewing’s Scratch Kitchen: Located in Langtree LKN, their menu focuses on fresh ingredients from scratch. One of my favorite things was their BBQ, Honey & Cheese smothered Chips with Bacon! Address: 138 Village View Dr #107, Mooresville, NC 28117
- Down for Doughnuts: If you love Doughnuts, this is the place for you! From S’mores to Cinnamon Roll Doughnuts, you’ll be in sweets heaven. They also have great coffee, fried croissants, and tons of other goodies! Address: 880 E Iredell Ave, Mooresville, NC 28115
Where to Stay in Mooresville, NC
During our time in Mooresville, we stayed at The Hamptons Inn & Suites and had a really nice stay. We were within 15 minutes from Lake Norman State Park and about 10 minutes from downtown Mooresville. Booking.com | Hotels.com
You also have the opportunity to rent a cabin in Lake Norman State Park or to rent a home on the lake!
Since most of Lake Norman is private property, you have a lot of options in terms of rentals on the lake, especially during the summer! Find Lake House Rentals here!
What to Pack for Mooresville, NC
If you are planning to visit Mooresville during the summer, here are some things you’ll want to pack!
- North Carolina is scorching hot during the summer, so make sure to have your sunscreen!
- Bathing suit: A swim in Lake Norman is a must, so don’t forget your bathing suit!
- A fun floppy hat and your sunnies.
- Quick-dry towels: These are my favorite travel towels because they are so light and compact and work like a squeegee for your body! We have Size Large.
- Insect Repellant: You’ll want to keep the mosquitoes away! If you forget this, you can always grab it at Walgreens or CVS.
- Shoes for hiking or to go to the GoPro Motorplex & sandals for everything else!
- A waterproof phone case for fun at Lake Norman.
- A Dry Bag if you plan on going paddle boarding, kayaking, jet-skiing, etc to prevent any of your valuables from getting wet!
- I almost always get asked about the skirts in my photos – they can be found here.
- My go-to travel bag is Delsey, and if you’re interested in my camera gear, click here!
Best Things to do in Mooresville, NC Wrap-up
As you can see, there are tons of fun things to do in Mooresville, North Carolina! Whether you are looking for an escape from Charlotte, want to spend the Summer by the lake, or a race car fan, Mooresville has you covered!
Other Guides You Will Enjoy:
- Best Places to See Fall Colors in NC
- Best Stops on the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Best Free Things to Do in Raleigh
- Things to Do in Raleigh on a Rainy Day
- Pros and Cons Living in Raleigh
- 10 Reasons to Visit the Blue Ridge Parkway in Fall
Have any questions about these fun things to do in Mooresville, or feel like I missed something? Let me know in the comments below!